Thursday, May 21, 2009

romeo and juliet


Since I reread Romeo and Juliet - and reading it aloud made me see it in a different light- I'm going to compile some of my favorite verses, which to tell you honestly, is not much. And yeah right, when I first read this I was distraught about the plot. But now, I am amazed by the language- the beauty of it. You don't believe me? Read on to see what I mean.

So let's start off!

#1
"See how she leans her cheek upon her hand!

O, that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek!"


#2
"Come, gentle night; come, loving, black-browed night;Give me my Romeo; and, when I shall die,Take him and cut him out in little stars, And he will make the face of heaven so fineThat all the world will be in love with night..."

It's just so romantic that I cannot believe myself when I thought that for my cynical beliefs about love, this is not cheesy- and that is saying something.


~*~

I know this line is anticipating tragedy, but it's too strong I can't abandon it
.
"These violent delights have violent endsAnd in their triumph die, like fire and power,
which as they kiss, consume."



~*~

Beat this, emo people!

"He jests at scars that never felt a wound."



~*~

Very philosophical and sarcastic... Nice one!
"How art thou out of breath, when thou has breath to say to me that thou art out of breath?"


~*~

Strikes me as funny...
"Nay, gentle Romeo, we must have you dance.
Not I, believe me: you have dancing shoes with nimble soles: I have a soul of lead, so stakes me to the ground I cannot move."


~*~

Oh... yes. I know what you'll think about these two... flattering!


#1
"Death that hath sucked the honey from thy breath hath had no power yet upon thy beauty."
#2
"Can I go forward when my heart is here? Turn back, dull earth, and find thy centre out."

*sighs*


~*~

and the most worn out verse in the history of all plays but I still love it and have actually memorized the lines... Tadaah!


"O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;

Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,

And I'll no longer be a Capulet.
"


and of course, I can't forget...


"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet."
Okay, it's not that romantic but I tell you, the idea is. You know, that 'someone would not really mind who you are because it really doesn't matter' kind of romantic. I think it's just empowering to know that someone would abandon his or her name for the sake of love... as a name is very special and- not to mention- sacred.


But then again, it's Romeo and Juliet we're talking about. I mean, how did they know these things? They were so young- not even fourteen! Honest, they have really sweet mouths! A bow to the Bard's greatness!


By the way, *me and my plugging instincts kicking again* Have you seen Romeo x Juliet? This is an anime based on Shakespeare's original which is so interesting, considering that there are major plot turns that are really refreshing and mind blowing. Anyway, I think I'll just make another blog post about it though since I don't want to get a little off-tangent... again... hehehe...

"Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow
That I shall say good night till it be morrow." ~Romeo and Juliet (Act 2, Scene 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment